Tuesday, March 24, 2009

"Yo Yo my (insert racial slur)!"

I live in a fairly black neighbourhood and sometimes I hear conversations that seem to contain only one word. I will substitute "BottomFeeder" for the word I hear most.

I was watching TV and I overheard from the street below one half of a conversation.
"Yo my bottomfeeder, yo yo. What's going on bottomfeeder. You still working bottom feeder?
I heard about all your bottomfeeders, they is some dumb ass bottomfeeders. Bottomfeeder, yo my bottomfeeder, I seen that bottomfeeder working up there, isn't that where all them bottomfeeders end up. Ok, talk back later my bottomfeeder."

Only a bottomfeeder can call another bottomfeeder a bottomfeeder. Good to have rules I guess.

The closest thing I can come up with in another community is the use of the word girl. In the gay community (the male one) they call each other girl. It is not a deragotry, but depending on the inflection it says more than the word. A quick excited, "Girl!" Means you shock me in a good way with that outfit.

A long drawn out "Girllllll." Mean you better step back and take a good look at yourself, or at what you just said.

Then there is the "Girl" spoken seductively. Like I'd like to get all up in that.

"Girl?" can mean, what are you trying to get away with, or that is not a very attractive outfit.

That to me is an excellent use of a word that does not offend anyone, and can mean many things.

I have heard about taking words back, and I guess that has it's virtue, if the word was ever virtuous. I think there was a woman's movement to take back the C word. The one problem with that, you can't take back what was never yours. The C word was invented by men to totally disarm a woman as quick as possible.

That is the same problem with, "Bottomfeeder." It was not created by those who use it so freely to address and describe each other. It was created to oppress and control by prejudice and racist people.

There have been studies that show if you frown, sad feeling will follow, and if you make an effort to smile happiness will follow.

Furthermore, negative thinking and anger only beget more negative thinking and anger. I know this to be fact, as I can be a pretty negative thinking angry guy.

But back to my neighbours and my neighbourhood conversations. I think the casual use of the word bottomfeeder needs to stop, and some intelligence needs to prevail.

You don't hear Polish people, "Yo you my Polack, how is my Polack today?"

Or,

"How are my wops today?"

Even calling someone a redneck more than once in a casual conversation would cause a severe beating from said redneck.

Why is this These people know and understand the limitations they would be placing on themselves in today's society. They care.

I think until my local bottomfeeders realize this they can only descend further into the swamp of stupidity which is slowly becoming their existence.

So my homies please look for a new way to describe and name each other, something that you would want to claim ownership over and something that will lift you up.

Girl is taken, boy is not a good choice. How about something like "Peacelover," or something simple like mygoodman. I can only cross my fingers.

G Spot Out!

2 comments:

Mistër Cleän said...

Yo yo yo, my Canadian! How is my Canadian doing today, Canadian?

Brendage said...

yo yo yo my carbon based lifeform! How's it hangin'?