Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Sometimes People Don't know any Better

Last weekend I walked out my side door, because a truck had been idling for an inordinate amount of time next to the house and diesel fumes were filling our upstairs.

I looked to the right and there sitting under a tree on the street was a NJ Transit Tard Cart (the short bus.) Just as I headed toward it, the engine shut off. I proceeded to walk around the bus picking up the typical pieces of litter that get casually dropped by most who travel through these parts: chip bags, glass bottles, freezies, and all other assorted types of shit. The guy in the bus got out and said hi to me, in fact, he said even said good morning and extended his hand, and said "My name is Tim." I shook his hand, told him my name and continued to clean up my hood. He took a sip from his big can of Red Bull and walked away toward the corner.

I noticed that he was talking to another fellow who was driving a big SUV. Then I heard the familiar rattle of a large can as it landed on the street corner not 20 feet from me. I was a little flabbergasted. While I know it is not personal, would you not think Tim would have carefully set it down, or tossed it somewhere it would not attract my immediate attention? Especially since he had watched me picking up litter.

I'd had it. I was not angry, just tired and irritated. So I went over and picked up the can, and his friend noticed me. I thought, oh boy, rumble time.

I then said to Tim, "Hey, what's up with this, dude?" He turned quickly and said, "Sorry. I was aiming for the sewer."* To which I answered, "That will just clog up the sewer." I added, "I'm from Canada this kind of stuff does not often happen."

The guy in the SUV happily offered, "Yeah, I went to Toronto, and it is clean there, man. What the fuck is wrong with us? This is all fucked up. Why do we have to do this? He's right."

No, he was not being sarcastic. He actually agreed.

Tim then reached out for the can in my hand. I said, "Don't worry about it, dude. I got it. You're not the only one, look at the street." The street was covered in litter. I added, "I'm not trying to give you a hard time. Everyone does it. But maybe you could try to put it in a garbage can next time?"

He wished me a nice day and I moved on. Nothing funny here. Just a thought. I think they actually felt kind of bad, and they might just think about it next time they throw litter. It probably won't stop them, but they will think about it. Sometimes it is the thought that counts.

G SPOT on the LitterDownLow!


*I do, however, like the fact that he was aiming for the sewer. I guess close counts in the Litter Toss. Where is the logic in that response?

No comments: